Kindergarten Program Information
Welcome to Simi Valley Schools' Kindergarten programs! We offer all-day Traditional Kindergarten at all of our 18 elementary school campuses. We also offer all-day Junior Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten programs at many of our campuses.
- All Kindergarten programs in the Simi Valley Unified School District are ALL-DAY programs.
- Traditional Kindergarten is open to all children born on or before September 1, 2012. Traditional Kindergarten registration is open now and applications are available HERE. If you are attending your neighborhood school (SVUSD neighborhood school boundary maps are HERE), enrollment forms will be accepted beginning March 1, 2017. If you are considering enrolling your child in a school that is not your neighborhood school, you will be participating in our School of Choice program. School of Choice allows families to place children in schools outside of their neighborhood boundaries as long as the target school has room for additional students. More information about School of Choice is found HERE. Please be mindful that School of Choice has an application deadline of February 28, 2017.
- Junior Kindergarten (JK) is a developmental kindergarten program designed for children who are kindergarten age, but not kindergarten “ready," as determined by the parents. Following a year in JK, most students will enter a regular Traditional Kindergarten program, although some may be ready to move on to 1st grade. JK students engage in hands-on learning activities and are taught by certified teachers. The students considered for JK were born between July 1 and Sept. 1, 2012, making them the youngest students in the kindergarten age range
- In Transitional Kindergarten (TK), children who don’t meet the age requirement for regular kindergarten have an opportunity to build their readiness skills and abilities. TK programs bridge preschool and kindergarten for children turning 5-years-old between Sept. 2 and Dec. 2, 2017. It gives young learners a head start and provides them with opportunities to learn and grow in an environment that is tailored to meet their academic and social needs. TK is a two-year kindergarten program.
- Junior Kindergarten/Transitional Kindergarten registration begins now and applications are available HERE. Classrooms are assigned after all applications are received and assignments are based on where there is the most need and space available. There is no School of Choice for JK/TK.
- All effort will be made to provide enough classes to meet the interest in the program. Classrooms will be located throughout Simi Valley to be as convenient as possible for families. Transportation must be provided by parents.
- Whenever possible, class size will be capped at 26 students.
- Before/afterschool care may be available through the Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District (584-4400), Boys & Girls Club (527-4437), or the YMCA (583-5338), depending on the school location of the Junior or Transitional Kindergarten program your child attends.
- All Kindergarten programs are part of the public school system and are free. They are taught by credentialed teachers with extra training to teach young kindergarteners.
- Notification for the location of enrollment will be made by the end of May.
- For more information on any of our kindergarten programs, contact your neighborhood school during the regular school year (even if you're applying for School of Choice), or call the Educational Services Department at the District office year-round at (805) 306-4500, Ext. 4207. You may also email Tania Bishop (Educational Services Department) at email@example.com.
LAUNCH for Junior and Transitional Kindergarten Programs
Centers: What You'll Find in a JK/TK Classroom
Reading and Writing Standards
Additional Centers and Activities