Kindergarten Programs *
- Copy of Original Birth Certificate (hospital certificates are not acceptable)
- Proof of Residency A copy of a current utility bill (Electric, Gas or Water)
- Up-to-date Immunizations for ALL students (including Junior, Transitional and Kindergarten programs). *Children without all required immunizations will NOT be allowed to start school.
- An Oral Health Assessment Form California law, Education Code Section 49452.8, requires that your child have an oral health assessment (dental check-up) by May 31 in either kindergarten or first grade, whichever is his or her first year in public school. Assessments that have happened within the 12 months before your child enters school also meet this requirement. The law specifies that the assessment must be done by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional.
- A Report of Health Examination Form Parents/guardians are required, within 90 days of their child entering into 1st
- grade, to provide documentation that their child had a health screening within the last 18 months.
** A Health Examination is NOT required for enrollment into Junior Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten (JK/TK)**
Studies show that children benefit from high quality, full-day Kindergarten programs. The Simi Valley Unified School District offers families throughout the district two full-day Kindergarten options, depending on your child’s age.
Universal Transitional Kindergarten (UTK) and traditional Kindergarten classes are taught by credentialed teachers with experience in early-childhood education, in a safe and nurturing environment, on elementary school campuses located throughout the district. All of our Kindergarten programs are free.
To determine the right program for your child, please join us for our virtual Kindergarten Information Night events held every January. Recordings of the most recent past events have been provided below.
Universal Transitional Kindergarten
In the 2023-2024 school year, Universal Transitional Kindergarten is open to children born between September 2, 2018, and September 1, 2019.
Kindergarten is open to children born between September 2, 2017, and September 1, 2018.
How to Enroll in Kindergarten
Kindergarten for the 2023-2024 school year is open to children born on or before September 1, 2018. If you are attending your neighborhood school (SVUSD neighborhood school Boundary Maps are HERE), enrollment packets are available after March 1 through your school. Please contact them directly for more information.
If you are considering enrolling your child in a school that is not your neighborhood school, you will be participating in our School of Choice program. School of Choice allows families to place children in schools outside of their neighborhood boundaries as long as the target school has room for additional students. More information about School of Choice is found HERE. Please know that the School of Choice deadline was February 28, 2023. Applications received after the deadline will be placed on a wait list with the individual school site(s).
For more information on any of our kindergarten programs, contact your neighborhood school during the regular school year (even if you're applying for School of Choice), or call the Educational Services Department at the District office year-round at (805) 306-4500, Ext4ension 4207. You may also email Breanna Loniero (Educational Services Department) at email@example.com.
Kindergarten Information Night, January 26, 2023
What is Universal Transitional Kindergarten
NOTE: AS OF AUGUST 11, THERE MAY NOT BE SPACES AVAILABLE FOR LATE UTK APPLICANTS. PLEASE CONTACT THE DISTRICT OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Universal Transitional Kindergarten (UTK) provides children who don’t meet the age requirement for regular kindergarten (per California law) to have an opportunity to build their readiness skills and abilities. The 2023-2024 UTK program is open to children born on or before September 1, 2019. UTK programs bridge preschool and kindergarten, and provide young learners with opportunities to learn and grow in an environment that is tailored to meet their academic and social needs. UTK is the first of a two year program. Upon completion of UTK, students promote to Kindergarten.
Important UTK Information
We are now accepting ALL four-year-olds into our Universal Transitional Kindergarten program (UTK). If you have already submitted an application, this will not affect that application. We are opening our Universal TK classes to all children born between September 2, 2018 and September 1, 2019.
PLEASE READ the following BEFORE coming to the District Office, which is located at 101 West Cochran Street:
If enrolling in your neighborhood school for Kindergarten, please contact that school directly.
Universal Transitional Kindergarten
Enrollments for the 2023-2024 school year ARE NOW CLOSED, but please contact the District Office to find out if there are any spaces available. Enrollment must be submitted at the District Office - NOT at a school site. We ask that you submit your application package by March 24, 2023 to ensure your assignment in April.
- UTK packets MUST be complete to submit. Please find link to the packet on this page under "Enrollment Forms."
- REQUIRED documents include:
- UTK Enrollment Packet
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization Records - the most current to date
- Proof of Simi Valley Residency
- Oral Health Assessment Form/Waiver
- We prefer that you provide photocopies of all documents.
- Please note that your child will NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND SCHOOL until all of his/her immunizations are up-to-date.
- UTK is a voluntary public education program and does NOT offer School of Choice.